After careful consideration I have decided to transfer all hardware review activities to a new domain. I purchased Hardwareasylum.com in 2012 and have been working hard to build a new and improved Ninjalane on that domain. If you are reading this you have reached one of the archived articles, news, projects and/or reviews that were left behind during the site migration.
Please update your bookmarks and be sure to visit the new and improved Ninjalane at Hardwareasylum.com
Speakers are a good example of this if you look at any computer speaker set on the market you'll find that they are often supported by a stand of some sort. Granted this is not the hard and fast rule but the trend is to have computer speakers supported so they look nice on the desk. Subwoofers are usually placed on the floor and either have a forward facing or down firing subwoofer.
Now fast forward to home theater speakers, the trend in home theater is not only size but also to have "mountable" speaker sets. Even the speakers designed to sit on shelves are just a box with mounting points so you can secure them to the wall.
So what happens when you mix high quality speakers with a computer desktop environment? Well the Edifier m3400 is a pretty good example.
- All MDF wood enclosures for subwoofer and satellites.
- 6.5 inch High-performance bass driver unit.
- 3 inch mid-range driver unit.
- 3/4 inch high frequency driver unit.
- Power button on sub-woofer front panel.
- Master volume control, headphone jack and AUX on wired remote controller with Halo style power indicator.
- All drivers are magnetically shielded.
- Power Output: RMS 8W x 2 + 18W(THD=10%)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: >=85dBA
- Input Port: Stereo RCA Line-in
- Input Impedance: 10K Ohm
- Bass Unit : 6.5 inch paper cone driver, magnetically shielded , 4Ohm,
- Satellite Unit: 3 inch paper cone mid-range driver, 4 Ohm and 3/4 inch tweeter driver, 8Ohm, magnetically shielded
- Subwoofer--- 234 x 261 x 305 mm ( WxHxD )
- Satellites --- 90 x 181 x 137 mm ( WxHxD )
- Gross Weight: approximately 8.8kg
- Power Input: 100V-120V ~, 50/60Hz